FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Christmas 2021 / January 2022 Ops / staffing Issues
Old Dec 24, 2021, 10:08 am
clubord

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CALMSP
just seems so odd how all of a sudden the day before/day of there's a shortage.

sucks to be everyone who now will not get to xmas. thankfully I flew out yesterday!
Here’s my experience which many of my fellow crew members fell into this week as this variant flared up.

There is required testing for numerous international flights prior to departure (which most likely explains why DL and UA are affected the most.) I tested COVID positive with absolutely no symptoms three hours before departure. Subsequently got pulled off the trip and was told to quarantine and stay away for a minimum of 10 days. A reserve pilot was called to fill my spot on 764 trip.

Most of our reserves got their days off rolled to cover the holidays but are now subject to mandated rest requirements which are now falling on 24-28th of this month.

Looking at open time this morning, I’ve never seen so many trips at 200% in my 15+ years at the airline. There’s just no one available to fly these trips considering such a large segment of the crew population is a pumpkin for at least 10 days.

I’m sorry to all those passengers stranded because of the cancellations. I’m also sorry to my fellow crew members that are quarantined and missing Christmas with their families.

An unfortunate situation all around. I wouldn’t be so quick to point the finger at crew taking “advantage” of the circumstances.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 24, 2021 at 1:18 pm