FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Local lockdowns in the UK
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:51 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dan1113
I also think there will be a certain percentage of people who would rather suffer through it (or simply be blissfully unaware) and spread it than isolate over Christmas, compared to a normal week when you get 10 days off work in their eyes. So I imagine this leads to fewer tests, particularly in people doing asymptotic lateral flow ones.
​​​​​​
Actually it largely remains a disease of those aged 5 to 25 years old (thankfully, at least in some respects). So the fact that schools and colleges are now closed for Christmas probably has a far bigger impact.

But it is a fact that the picture is quite varied throughout the UK that it's actually quite difficult to use UK stats to get a feel for this For example in the North East, Omicron isn't much established yet, most cases are Delta and in many places case rates are fallling. So that is dampening down the rise in London, which Omicron is now dominant, vaccinations are the lowest in the UK. But yes, even within Omicron I think my original post suggesting a 3 to 5 day doubling period is probably more accurate than 2 day doubling. And there is always a ceiling, what goes up will come down.