FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Local lockdowns in the UK
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2021, 4:09 am
squawk

Originally Posted by KARFA
There is very clear evidence already that vaccines reduce the likelihood of hospitalisations from omicron, and that applies for 2 jabs.

I don’t think I am therefore sticking my neck out far in saying if you are unvaccinated you are much more likely to need hospitalisation (albeit within the lower overall rates for omicron).

Therefore it won’t be surprising if areas with lower vaccination rates see more hospitalisations.
Sorry for delayed reply, in a very hectic period before the end of the year. While I agree with your logic from the first, though the second, to the third sentences in your post, I am trying to come up with sensible explanation for why London (as the case in point) had, if I'm reading it correctly, lower rates of hospitalisation until Omicron took of despite it having lower vaccination rates. In other words, if the reason for London's increasing hospitalisation rate with Omicron is because there is a lower vaccination rate, ceteris paribus one would expect that the same pattern would have been observed with Delta in the weeks running up to Omicron. Yet I don't think this was the case: London had a lower hospitalisation rate. However, I may well be missing or misinterpreting something in the data.

Originally Posted by KARFA
in terms of your friends I assume (and hope) no hospitalisations? If that’s the case then the jab has done it’s job.
Thankfully not, and hopefully it will stay that way, and yes I agree entirely! They are all relatively young and healthy; I hope they've not passed it on to anyone who is more vulnerable.