FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:38 am
prestonh

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by ekwang
I have always wanted to visit Australia. Idk which airline is the best for doing so, but I guess this is good for me as a 1k, right?
Having traveled intra-australia a lot over the past 20 years I can say that having a UA reciprocal partner is definitely a benefit. Aside from the initial awkward Intl-domestic transfer issue (SYD has separate terminals in which require a bus or taxi or train unless you are interlining) there is the issue of domestic travel once you are there. During the Ansett days it was great having the lounge and *G priority access with ticketing, seating, etc. Now you have to deal with cabin baggage issues, long check in queues, buy your way into lounges etc. unless you have status via QF or partners etc. My projects had me doing a lot of domestic australia flying so that was a useful benefit. Whether it means much for MP earnings or not is a TBD/YMMV scenario. Most of the fares in Aus. are quite reasonable though, particularly if they offer passes.