FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GHA Discovery - New Program 2021
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:58 am
Rambluesky

Programs: GHA Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
From my perspective, the shortened early check-in and late check-out to 11 am/4 pm is a huge disappointment. One of the main reasons that I chose GHA, apart from the Local Experience, is the early-in and late-out benefits. However, it currently doesn't make that much difference with other programs' top tiers. The change from Local Experience to Discovery Dollars is another turn-off aspect for me. I have checked some Experiences for Thailand-based property that have already been uploaded to the GHA system and found that most of them are quite over-priced and not very attractive. The newly introduced spending criteria is one of the good points I saw from this enhanced program, but not the 3-brand qualification.

I discussed with some Thai GHA members in the local Facebook group and I can confirm that most people's opinions towards the new program are not what GHA would be happy with. It is true that 3-brand requirements will attract new joiners to the program, and it's true that as a Bangkok-based member, these criteria are certainly easy to reach. But currently, the brands are too independent. In recent months, Anantara Siam and Capella Bangkok do offers a lot of promotions but with the conditions that GHA benefit CANNOT be applied to that particular stay, while IHG, Accor, Marriott that have 10++ property in Bangkok do offer elite benefits on promotions, with some limitation, yes, but they still offer something. So many people are concerned that if the status is really easy to reach, then the property will widely apply these limitations to other room rates, hence, making no difference between the loyalty members and non-loyalty members.

IMO, most people here will be carrying the Titanium because it's easy to reach, yes, but with no loyalty or whatsoever. The hotel selections here in Bangkok, or even in Thailand are very wide, and I would only stay 3-brand (meaning, it would be only 3 nights) to maintain the Titanium or a little bit more nights depending on the property at my desired destinations. Because the rebate of 7% is not attractive enough considering the overpriced experiences offered and elite benefits. My IHG stays would provide me with points somewhat more valuable than that 7 % cashback as well.

FYI for FTers, from my recent stay experiences, the additional brand benefit for Titanium at Anantara properties is not available because the management still discusses what they would provide as a benefit, so do not expect anything if you have a stay.