FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Squatters WIn on DL1943 last night
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:03 pm
sethb
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You'll be in jail for false imprisonment if you try that. No crime against you has been committed. No crime against DL has occurred yet either. Unlike a law enforcement officer, you don't get immunity if you detain someone and it was incorrect. The only exception to this rule is for merchants and their employees who do get immunity. Even then it is very specific circumstances that they get it.

You likely have a civil case to sue DL, but no criminal case against the "thief". You don't own the seat, nor has DL leased you the seat. DL could file charges for trespassing if OP refuses to get off plane after being asked. (If they refused to move) If passenger moves back to C+ inflight then they could also possibly file theft of service charges.
Nope; I didn't physically detain anybody. They refused to leave the seat, by their own choice. The police officer physically detained them after I declared the citizen's arrest.

The could sue me for false arrest, but I don't think that's a winning play for them.

But it would never get that far.