FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:41 am
dip2007

Travelled first time to Maldives and first stay in STR and i would like to rate my experience as awesome ( i have nothing much to compare to in Maldives ) . Writing this waiting in the STR lounge in Male waiting for my Qatar flight ( excited for the couple QSuites ). Below are some points that would help people who are planning a trip in future .
  • PCR test turnaround time is less than 1 day now and cost is $120 + tax . We gave sample at 11 Am and received results next day morning around 9 am . I did notice that the report had the sample collection time as 11.45 PM Local time . I guess they do this to align to 24 hours before flight departure as my QR flight is at 11.20 PM . This is not required as US Is okay for 1 calendar day testing though a nice gesture .
  • The resort was at 90% capacity but i didn't find any issues in dinner . We did walk in to the Whale Bar and Grill and Cargo and they were able to accommodate us . Even if they say no reservations while commutating via mail i think mostly you would have a place .
  • The menu for Cargo has changed ( in the welcome mail it was an Indian menu ) . They are not serving Middle Eastern Cuisine. The food was awesome specially the Australian Lamb Chops
  • Weather is very unpredictable these days . For our 5 day trip three days were full sunny . How two days it was cloudy and rains on/off . We had to cancel one of the dinner experiences due to this ambiguity as our butler informed that if it rains in the evening they would serve the food in the villa but charge the full amount ($425++ per person ) . I felt it was too much of a risk for $1000 USD so we cancelled at 3 PM .
  • For Bonvoy Platinum and above the 20% off on F&B is only applicable when you dine in only ( in any restaurants).It is not applicable for in room dining / any dinner experiences / activities . The 20% discount is applied in the final bill after your dinner/ lunch and you can check instantly . I personally didn't need to ask them to apply the same and it was there every time a check was bought for signature .
  • One hour phot session is complementary per villa and you get only one photo from the same . Additional photos ( soft /hard copy ) can be bought as per the photo packages . Even though when i was interacting with the resort before arrival they didn't mention this was complimentary . I had booked an hour session and the photographer mentioned this . We did a sunset shoot ( 6.15 PM - 7.15 PM and the photos were awesome. The photographer knows many good spots
  • We stayed at villa 503 and we were able to see some fishes from our villa only. There were small groups of colored fishes just beneath our stairs from our villa . Guess we were lucky .
  • The landing deck ( where the sea plane lands ) has lots of fishes to see from the top . You can also spot Stingrays here in the evening around sunset time . I dont know we can do snorkeling here or not but there are many colored fishes in this area .
  • We did a sunset fishing trip and thoroughly enjoyed it . It was line fishing and both me and my partner caught 4 fishes each . There is an option to cook the fish that you caught for next day lunch / dinner at some additional cost but we didn't do that .
  • I choose the breakfast as the welcome amenity . Breakfast was awesome with a vast spread and it includes cocktails too ( Mimosa, Bloody Mary Etc.) . Free alcohol i would say if you can drink early in the day .
  • The beach villas on one side have errored significantly. Guess the island is moving a bit . They are putting sand bags in some of the beach villas as a measure for not allowing the water to enter in times of high tide. Few beach villas have no beach left at all . I remember a post on this and i would suggest referring to the same to get the right beach villa during your stay .
  • We were invited to a cocktail evening once during our stay . The GM did mention it was for elites but i am not sure who were invited , They served cocktails / wine and champagne. Food was non existent but it was a good evening to speak with fellow travelers .
  • We arranged a session for the blue hole experience . During the checkout i was told that this is complimentary for couples on honeymoon however this was not mentioned again during my email conversations . Even though it was a 45 mins experience we did spend close to 90 mins including the after usage of sauna / steam room and shower
  • Our butler did surprise us two times - first occasion with a honeymoon rose shaped cake and fruit platter and on another occasion by setting up the bathtub with rose petals .

Overall i would say we had an awesome experience , Thinking of doing Bora Bora next year for our anniversary next year . Which resort should i pick there ?

Last edited by dip2007; Dec 13, 2021 at 6:01 am Reason: typo