FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Shay, Culver City, L.A. Destination Hotel REVIEW MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:18 am
lechamber

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I'm driving so no, I wouldn't be relying on Metro. I think I'll give it a pass. Rooms look nice but noise and bad/sparse breakfast are a recipe for disaster.
the noise complaint is overblown. I stayed there recently with a toddler, in a room overlooking the metro line, and neither the train nor the outside roads were loud enough to be an issue. It's an urban hotel, but this is far from a loud neighborhood compared to others in LA. the poster above who complained about the loud cars outside just had bad luck in terms of stupid drag racers choosing that night to drive outside the hotel. Otherwise, the hotel just has the usual noise issues that any other Hyatt I've stayed in has had (e.g., hallway noise filtering in, hearing adjacent rooms, etc.), and even those were not that significant for us.

the breakfast was very decent. again, the poster above who posted about the drinks/etc., not being included was wrong. coffee/juices were included for us. and the selection was fine. pastries/quiche/breakfast sandwich were all well executed with quality ingredients, and my family and I preferred this over the more generic diner-type options that some other Hyatt hotels have.

in the room itself, really liked the Nespresso, haven't seen that at a Hyatt outside of a Park Hyatt (and even the Park Hyatt Aviara in Carlsbad had the Illy machines which imo are inferior).

some quibbles: the suites don't have truly enclosed bedrooms, though. most of the bathrooms don't have bathtubs. for those traveling with infants/toddlers, they have pack and plays, but no cribs. most of the views aren't that great.

For those interested in food/eating out, it's a great location. Etta, the hotel restaurant, is wonderful -- not everything perfect, but enough that's carefully sourced and executed that I would want to go back, which is saying more than I've experienced for almost every other Hyatt hotel restaurant I've seen. Platform across the street is so close and fun to explore; Aesop for toiletries, Boba Guys for boba, Blue Bottle for decent coffee, Roberta's for pretty good pizza; Van Leeuwen's for ice cream; Bianca for pastries and empanadas; I just don't recommend Margot, generic food and snotty hosts. There were some posts above about Vespertine/Destroyer; it's not really walkable, though a very short drive. Destroyer is worth trying, though, extremely LA in so many aspects,, and if you do walk, take Higuera St, not National Blvd. Other close food options include the Helms Bakery complex where there's Father's Office for the burger/beers (no kids allowed), Pasta Sisters, and others. There are some good nearby wine stores as well, Stanley's Wet Goods, Bar and Garden...