FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO Opens Terminal 2 <---> Terminal 3 Airside Connector
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:45 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
All I can say is I walked G10 to D13 for my latest connection and it took 20 minutes on the airside. And, at 10 at night, there's almost nothing open over in D.
That's an easy AirTrain connection. 10-15 minutes. Of course, if you'd prefer to walk, that's understandable (and I probably would), but there is a much less strenuous option.

And it's not that airports aren't designed for connections (though some are rather poor at it), it's that airplanes take up lots of space, which means you need lots of space between gates and concourses. The alternative to a spread-out terminal is remote stands. Personally I'll take the former.
Originally Posted by danielonn
They could have done an AIrside AirTrain
No, they could not, not without tearing everything down, including the underlying infrastructure, and starting over again. Do you have any conception how much that would cost?
Originally Posted by danielonn
Other option would have been to just connect all terminals airside at time of rebuilding.
That's exactly what they're doing.