FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:24 am
scottishpoet

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Arsey00
We are watching the scientific method play out in real time. Something most of us aren't accustomed to in our daily lives, where we are usually able to rely on more settled science. But science doesn't settle immediately just because people find waiting for solid results inconvenient. Whatever is going to get us out of this, half the population saying "I know better than epidemiologists" probably isn't it, even if sometimes epidemiologists get things wrong. We will try things, some will work, some won't, some will at first and then suddenly won't, not because our guesses aren't educated enough but because it's literally impossible to plan for every eventuality. Something many of us know from our work and personal lives, I would presume. The new requirements have been brought in quickly (by governments of varied political stripes, not just the UK Tories) because past delays to restrictions resulted in both deaths and longer restrictions, and governments (of varied political stripes) were pilloried. If omicron turns out to be a storm in a teacup, which we will know fairly soon, the restrictions can be removed even more quickly and easily than they were brought in.
and if its not a storm in a tea cup, wait 3 months for a new vaccine, then another 3 months for that to get distributed to people my age in my country? Meanwhile all back in lockdown?

Then another varient of concern next winter and we go round the cycle again?

governments the world over (this is not a pop at Boris) have had 2 years now to upgrade their health systems to be able to better cope with the impact of any new varients

yet here we are

when do we look for a different exit strategy?

i supports vaccines, there has to come a point where they say those of us vaccinated boosted etc and keep getting our shots can get on with life