FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Philadelphia [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2021, 8:06 am
WasKnown

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm curious as to why you think the building is unimpressive. It might be a tad "glass tower cookie cutter," but the compromise is that guests get floor-to-ceiling windows in most rooms. Perhaps, I have different standards for W properties, but I have always found that they skew modern over luxurious.

As for the Element piece, it's definitely the first time I've heard of this combination. I would assume they didn't want to add another Westin in the city (+ I imagine a W would make more money).

The suite piece is definitely annoying, though, especially as the Element has been open for a while before the W opened (lots of time to finish construction).
It’s possible to have modern, contemporary luxury buildings. I don’t think the W Philly is that but I also don’t think that’s what they were going for. I don’t consider floor to ceiling windows impressive, especially given the Element also has floor to ceiling windows.

I will post more details on my thoughts on the W and where they cut corners (ie ceilings) after my stay. FWIW this is probably better than the vast supermajority of old, mediocre W hotels in the US. And it’s probably better than the nearby Ritz too.