FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Politically Incorrect: The "fat" pax policy
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:31 pm
DJ_Iceman

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LawFlyer
(1) Am I in for a thrashing, or for an apology?
(2) If it's the apology (not the thrashing), what should I realistically ask for? Give me some good ideas before I call and I'll give you an update tomorrow PM.
1) A thrashing? From a company to a customer? Unlikely.

2) First, ask for them to establish a clear and firm policy regarding overweight/oversize pax. You said it yourself in your original post--what if there had been an in-flight emergency? Would you have been able to evacuate the aircraft quickly? Just like drunk pax are considered safety risks, so should obese ones.

Second (and I hope you have names of the FAs involved), ask for them to reprimand or otherwise deal with the FAs who were beyond unhelpful but actually disrespectful and actively rude to you. Their behavior was unacceptable; they were quite frankly not doing their jobs.

Third, don't ask for a thing in compensation. If you do, they'll get the impression (right or wrong) that you're only whining to get free stuff. If they want to offer you something, that's fine, but I wouldn't give them any suggestions of what that should be. If you get the airline to actually look at their "fat pax" policy and reprimand those FAs, you should take a lot of satisfaction in that.