FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:48 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by sc90
I'm currently in a protracted battle with UA customer service over whether I re-qualified via FTTF. For context, not a super elite (only Premier Gold -- gotta start somewhere, right?) but I desperately want to re-qualify. The main issue I have with them is this: despite hitting the stated threshold of 1200 PQPs and 6 PQFs, they're saying I'm not eligible for the extension due to the fact that some of those PQPs came through paid upgrades. According to CS, PQPs through paid upgrades are not valid for the promotion.

This is news to me, as I read the T&Cs fairly closely prior to booking my travel during the promo, and this never came up at all. I read through the United site and ensured that paid upgrades qualified as PQPs, so I thought hey, must be good then, right? According to United, no. I've asked them to show me where in the published T&Cs it said this, but the responses I've gotten have been that "the T&Cs are no longer posted because the promotion is over". Interesting, because I am still seeing the T&Cs on the website, and it doesn't list that part anywhere. Also, if you refer to the T&Cs/FAQs someone shared at the top of this thread, lo and behold, there is nothing in there regarding ineligibility of PQPs through paid upgrades.

To add insult, after United CS initially tried to tell me these were in the T&Cs, and me showing them that in fact they are not, their current stance is "the T&Cs doesn't address the upgrade because the upgrade will not be eligible for the promotion. If upgrade are eligible for a specific promotion, it would be on the terms and condition." So, because it's not explicitly stated in the terms, it's not eligible? How as a customer am I supposed to reasonably infer that? I was given PQPs for it, after all.

Am I just an idiot that doesn't truly understand how qualification and/or this promotion works? Do I have any hope of pushing back and winning? This whole process has turned me off to this airline, despite almost exclusively flying with them for 5+ years AND sticking with them after moving away from a major United hub.
Do you know what type of paid upgrade it was? How and when was it offered?