FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:55 am
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Daremo999
Wondering if anyone can explain why the following route cant be found on delta.

Aug 29, 2022 BOS - YYZ - CDG - ATH.

What started me down this rabbit hole was the suddenly loss of what looks like 99% of the partner award seats from the northeast USA (Boston & JFK) to ATH around that date (Last week of Aug/1st week of Sept 22). Well i found AF award seats for the 29th for YYZ-ATH via CDG so I just need to figure out this leg, BOS-YYZ. WS 3603 departs BOS @ 12:20PM lands in YYZ at 2:25PM. AF351 departs YYZ @ 635PM > CDG (1:15) > ATH @ 130PM. Yet I cant find that route anywhere I look. Not on Delta, Google or even SkyScanner. Though SkyScanner at least picked up WJ BOS-YYZ, but then combined it with either Aegean or Emirates to get to ATH instead of the AF flight. Any idea why? It cant be award seats because I was searching outside of Delta's system...

Thanks!
I was able to build the itinerary in Expert Flyer as a revenue fare putting in the specific airline's flight numbers: WS3603, AF351, and AF1832. When I tried with the DL codeshare flights for the same flights, ITA Matrix returned nothing. This must mean that DL does not have this as a published/possible routing for BOS-ATH.

If you can build it with ITA Matrix, you can then use "Book with Matrix." https://bookwithmatrix.com/

That said, I think you're trying to build it all through DL as awards or revenue, which when I tried on DL.com, even trying to book BOS-YYZ/YYZ-CDG-ATH as a multi-city, it errored out.

Your other option, if this is the routing you want, is you can book the WS segment for BOS-YYZ and the AF segments for YYZ-CDG-ATH on separate tickets, of course understanding the risks both in advance and day-of. This far out, even in normal times, there are likely to be schedule changes. COVID further compounds the possibility that schedule changes could throw things through a loop. Of course one sort-of work around for this is to book YYZ-CDG-ATH now with miles and then just book BOS-YYZ closer in once schedules are likely to be more firm, since I imagine a BOS-YYZ fare, even if unavailable with miles at that point, isn't going to be too expensive, at least compared to what the TATL leg would be in J if you were unable to book with miles there and had to pay cash.

There are also day-of risks. My understanding with regards to AF is that they are usually pretty merciless if you no show for a flight not on the same ticket. So if you have issues getting to YYZ on the WS flight and "misconnect", AF may tell you to go pound sand and rebook. The other issue is checked luggage, if you will have any. Not sure what the agreements are between WS and AF when on separate tickets so you may find you'd have to arrive in YYZ, claim bags, and re-check with AF.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Dec 3, 2021 at 8:01 am