FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Mainland-Hawaii Lie-Flats
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:57 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exp
Well the airfares are good, especially if you're wiling to fly Y. But the lodging and rental car rates are very high for the foreseeable future.

Could easily spend $10k for 2 weeks and you're not even staying in any special place or driving anything better than a compact car.
we were there (OGG) in mid-November (definitely before peak for Thanksgiving - barely seemed moderately busy).

From SFO, airfare in Y was $280 roundtrip per person (not in basic - that was regular economy - I saw basic at one point for $89 ow I think - so if we went that way it would have been cheaper still). on the ground things were much more.
We used points for the Sheraton for a 5 night stay, which was a great value IME since it would have been $4K+ with taxes for cash - that’s just for the most basic type of room (we were upgraded though). Rental car was a bit shy of $400 for a standard (weekly rate). All this without any food or other non-included activities. You could go well over 10K I’d say for 2 weeks without doing pretty much anything I’d consider ‘luxury’ - you could probably end up close to 15K. Again, my experience was in a non-busy period, and a non-luxury property. I imagine airfare, rooms and car will all spike if you’re trying to do this during a holiday period like last week or anytime mid-Dec. to ~mid Jan. Or anytime when kids are out of school.

we were lucky to be able to do this when our older daughter had a non-standard holiday weekend. But being in SFO-area now, we’re lucky for this to be cheaper/easier than prior. Everytime we looked when we were in mid-size Ohio (pre-pandemic, so maybe not a completely apples-to-apples comparison), and airfare alone would be not that far off from the total amount of our recent trip.