FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 4:21 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SMcG_
Out of interest are you saying AC have made a huge wave of changes, or many airlines?
AC. Lots of posts in the schedule updates thread about this the past couple of days.

I gather also from what you're saying that there's no specific rush for me to accept a change, or a refund - is that correct?
Correct. In theory, the earlier you make a change, the better the availability on alternative flights, but for flights that are 4-5 months away, a few days likely won't make much of a difference.

I'm avoiding the US entirely as I believe they require a test even when transiting, so don't want to add the cost, hassle and risk.
The US doesn't have the concept of transit the way that many countries do, so you'll be subject to whatever requirements apply to those entering the US. What those will be in April, who knows.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me to be able to exchange LIR for SJO given the connections are far better and it's AC to blame for my inconvenience, but who says I'll encounter reason.
On that point, at least, the policy is there to back you up - in black and white; no question as to what's "reasonable". My most recent experience with this, the agent was very helpful, and was willing to do it once she actually read the policy (initially she just put what I wanted in to the computer and it told her to re-price, and she knew about co-terminals but not the 200 miles), but she did need to read the policy and then wanted to go check with a supervisor.