FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:58 am
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arroway
I am confused with how Delta manages a) baggage allowances and b) upgrades for people travelling together. I thought I understood, but just texted with a Delta Rep who gave me information that I did not think was true. Here's the scenario:

6 of us flying from roundrip this Friday to California - - but under 4 separate reservations due to using my AMEX companion passes (could only book 2 at a time with those). So that's:

1.) RES 1 - I am flying (paid ticket), my daughter is my companion. I am Silver Medallion. She is not (but she is a Sky Miles Member).
2.) RES 2 - My son is flying (paid ticket), my daughter's husband is my son's companion (it's an extra companion CERT I had that Delta extended due to COVID). Neither have status. Both a Sky Miles Members (new members).
3.) Res 3 - My son's GF is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Award trip (I reserved with my sky miles.)
4.) Res 4 - My husband is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Paid (technically, partially paid with an unused credit from a previously cancelled flight).

I was under the impression that I would still be upgrade eligible based on my silver medallion status, and that my daughter would be as well since she's my companion (but would clear at my level/status). And that no one else would be upgrade eligible at all (they don't have status, and I am not on their reservations).

I also thought I would get free baggage allowance (as would my daughter, as my companion), but no one else would.

**However, Delta rep just told me that EVERYONE flying would get free bags (as long as we check in together at airport). Well, that's nice, ha! BUT?
She also informed me that NO ONE travelling would be eligible for upgrade because "non status members are flying with you so you will not be eligible for upgrade".

I am confused as to why. We are under separate reservations. Why wouldn't I be eligible for upgrade? Is it because my daughter, non status, is my companion? That's not what Delta's website reads (rep told me must be old info). Huh? It's spelled out in several places. But perhaps I am not reading correctly ;-)

And why does everyone get free bags?! Ha.

Very confused.

But a) trying to advise family whether to count on checking a bag or not (don't want to be surprised with fees at airport) and also trying to manage expectations if any upgrades are available for myself ;-)

I do not believe these reservations are "linked". I suppose it's possible, but I didn't link them so....?
As long as checkin together your one free elite bag allowance be honored for all. (Well technically I believe up to 8 others) Agent will need to override system so must checkin at counter, all at same time with same agent. If there's multiple checkin agents all of you need to use same one.