FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA rebooked me into an overnight layover. What are my options?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:04 pm
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Bubbles Borges
I booked LIR-ORD-DAY in economy, paid for with CSR. I was departing at roughly 3pm and arriving in DAY shortly after midnight with a brief layover in ORD. There has been a schedule change on AA's end, and the ORD-DAY leg no longer departs late enough for us to make the connection. AA has rebooked us on the first ORD-DAY flight the following morning, leaving us with an overnight layover in ORD.

The only problem with this is that I live in CVG - the whole reason I booked the return to DAY was so to avoid an overnight layover without paying a much higher fare. I know that I can cancel for a full refund and then buy a new flight, but I'm hoping to avoid that since prices are now much higher.

If I call in to make changes to the new itinerary, what are the restrictions? Am I forced to keep the LIR-ORD-DAY routing? Can I change to CVG instead? Can I change the ORD layover to MIA or something instead? I just want to get an idea of what my options are before I call (won't let me change online).
You can definitely change the routing to go through MIA or somewhere else. Given the schedule change you should be able to change your final destination to CVG as well given the proximity between the two, especially if there are no longer LIR-DAY options on AA that don't involve an overnight.

If you can find a LIR-XXX-CVG same day routing I would call AA and ask specifically for that. With schedule changes HUCA is the name of the game, some agents are bad and won't let you switch to anything else while others can be very flexible.