FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:19 am
LC66

Programs: Delta, American, Continental, US Airways, United
United Schedule Change - Advice from Pros

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this issue.

I booked a trip from MCO-YYC in April 2021 for March 11-19 2022 to ski Norquay/Sunshine/Lake Louise for myself, wife, two children (18 + 21).
Due to cost savings/Chase UW, outbound was booked on American and return on United.

My original UA Flights were scheduled to depart YYC at 1:50PM arriving MCO 11:10PM on March 19th. As we are staying about 2 hours from YYC, this was perfect schedule, allowing time to get out of the condo and to the airport, drop off car, and getting home at a reasonable hour with Sunday to recover.

Complicating the scenario is 3 of the tickets were booked through UA using $320 in UA Travel Certificates (balanced charged to Chase Sapphire Preferred) and one ticket was booked using Chase UW points. At the time of booking, the one way fare from YYC-MCO was $260 each. Today of course the flights are $609 each one way. Also, I have no status with UA, just a General Mileage Plus Member.

UA cancelled the original flight, and changed my flight to a 3:23PM Departure YYC-DEN, with a 6 hour layover, and 11:50PM Departure DEN-MCO arriving 5:20AM. Obviously after skiing for a week in Alberta, I don't want to take the red eye home and be exhausted Sunday and have to work on Monday.

When I try to change the tickets on the UA website it is a $327 up charge to even get a 6:00AM departure from YYC, which is also not preferred and it would require getting up at 2:00AM to catch the flight, possibly driving through winter conditions at night.

Any advice from pros, except through myself on the mercy of the Customer Service agent?
Should I wait a month or two and see if the schedule changes again or anything shakes out?
Not sure the fare will ever get back down to $260, and the use of UA Travel Certs kills my ability to book with another carrier.

It sucks they can change my flight to a red eye without crediting me money for the lesser flight, but I can't change from a red eye without
paying an extra $1000 for four tickets. Thanks for any guidance.