FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:36 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I am looking to connect in Narita on separate tickets. My understanding is that it is allowed but the airline for the flight to Japan may deny boarding if they are not persuaded by the separate ticket connecting out of Narita. Is that an accurate summary? Can you direct me to where people have reported doing so successfully? Would you rate doing this as a big risk, or do you think as long as I provide the evidence of the onward ticket and give myself plenty of time in original departure airport, i should be fine? Thanks!
There are a couple of threads where Japan transit comes up. This is the main one, so you'd probably find the reports here.

Your understanding is correct, I rate the risk of not being allowed to board quite low if you have your papers in order and with you. And allow yourself plenty of time for check in and transit. Don't show up and expect the check-in to take the usually 30 seconds. What is your exact routing?
​​​​