FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:49 pm
Eurynom0s

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well this has now turned into a stressful enough shitshow that I'm going to be submitting a customer service complaint. It SHOULD be sorted (but still slightly anxious until I'm actually seated on 736 in an hour and a half), I called the MVP line using the wifi and a flight attendant confirmed she sees me as on the flight to Boston on her tablet, but I nearly had a heart attack.

I get an email shortly into flight 881 saying I've been upgraded to first. Very surprising because I was nowhere near high enough on the upgrade list to get upgraded for the flight to Boston, I think it's actually sold out 💫 otherwise full. So I open the email and it's an upgrade for SEA-SAN, which is an immediate red flag. I got to the reservation in the app and it says there's a change in the reservation that requires me calling in. So I look through the rest of the email and see they've automatically rebooked me on a three-legged itinerary; LAX-SEA this evening, SEA-SAN tonight (arriving at the same time as 736 arrives in Boston), and then after spending the night in San Diego SAN-BOS arriving 4 PM tomorrow. A doubly major what the hell considering I find this out while I'm in the air en route to Seattle, ostensibly on the same exact plane that's continuing on to Boston.
​​​​​
​​​​​I know when I was on with the phone agent she was having trouble getting me onto 881 and she was saying it was because 525 had been released to airport control. So she apparently couldn't get 525 fully unattached from my itinerary, as also evidenced by the fact that I was still getting app notifications about it being delayed and finally cancelled. So I'm guessing that if that original gate agent had just rebooked me when I said that even the 10 minutes difference between 11:50 and 12 would be appreciated given my tight connection in Seattle instead of insisting oh no I'll be fine don't go crazy trying to save 10 minutes that this all could have been avoided, since she would have been making the changes from the airport control end. Plus the only reason I even found out about this was because I have more Altitude Reserve GoGo passes than I can burn before they expire so I didn't mind burning two today (one per leg) instead of just saving it for the transcon, otherwise I would have shown up in Seattle with my 17D almost certainly gone and probably stuck in a middle seat for the transcon, assuming they still even had room for me at all considering how close to boarding I'm gonna be back on the ground.
​​​​​​
Lesson learned on being more insistent with the gate agent and/or walking around to find a more helpful one in this sort of situation but oh man, what a terrible way to learn that lesson, I thought I was being clever calling the MVP line instead of standing in line to talk to another gate agent.

Last edited by Eurynom0s; Nov 3, 2021 at 3:08 pm