FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:57 am
NotSoMuch

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Gold, HH Diamond, Centurion (UK), Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by haapalainen
There seems to be quite a large push for new Centurion customers in my home country Finland. After 8 years as platinum we were quite surprised to get the invite with less than 100k€ spend a year combined on our family's two platinum and two gold cards. We decided to accept the offer (3500€ yearly fee + 3500€ on-off) out of pure curiosity but so far the customer service has been very far from what we expected.

The invitation was an online form which we filled about 5 weeks ago. After two weeks of silence from Amex I called the Centurion phone number to be told not to worry about, it can take up to a month to receive that cards. I was able to login on the Finnish Centurion website and select Centurion as my card on the Amex Experiences App where one can request hotel chain/car rental benefits and vouchers. So all seemed fine. However, after another week I then received a mail from Amex saying that they can't send me one of the hotel vouchers as I am not a Centurion member. After some more emails they tell us they have not received our invitation form so the process has not even started.

From this I have learned that 1) the Centurion phone service had no clue what they were doing, 2) anyone can login on the Finnish Centurion website with their Amex credentials, 3) anyone can request any perk on the Amex Experiences app by choosing Centurion card as their card, or subscribe for the Centurion magazine, or just browse all the Centurion benefits if interested, 4) the whole Nordic Amex organization seems to have no idea how to provide proper customer service.

Now after filling in the form again and waiting for another week I can finally see on the Amex website that the virtual black card exists. But still I can't believe it can take them up to a month to deliver the physical card. Some of the hotel and car rental benefits can however been seen on their respective websites so things are moving forward.

All in all, I was expecting a little bit more refined experience. They must know that new customers are very eager to start enjoying the Centurion card but so far it's been very difficult to get answer on when to expect the cards, when can I start use the benefits and what benefits are available for the supplementary cards. I understand the thresholds for receiving the Centurion invites are much lower in the Nordic countries so expectations should not be as high for the service and benefits as in the USA. But at the same time I wonder why they even bother then as this can really damage the brand IMO. We were always happy with the platinum card but emotions towards Amex are becoming more negative with this experience.
Sorry to hear -- I think some frictions are to be expected with new accounts but should be nowhere close to this level of incompetency.

The new accounts team in the UK had been very efficient. After replying to the email invite, they offered to discuss the card benefit and go over the PDF form with me on a conference call. It only took 2 days to receive the card after sending off the forms. However, my membership executive did not reach out until a week later, and I also did not get the centurion member service line until then -- which led to a lot of confusion as my calls were transferred to the standard accounts team.

Strangely -- whenever logging in from centurion.com I get the US benefit page instead of the UK one. Does anyone else experience the same issue?