FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The FRA F/HON First Class Terminal FCT FAQ
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:46 pm
chris63
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by travelbug007
Recently connected in FRA from VIE with departing flight to ORD (booked in F) on a 2 hour connection. As I had purchased some items eligible for VAT refund, I looked for the nearest station after arriving in FRA. After what seemed like a mile walk from my arriving gate, I came upon a Global Blue station and was told I needed to turn back because she couldn't process any VAT refund to passengers arriving from VIE. I was told I had to walk to another Global Blue station which was probably 20 minutes away. As I had planned on going to the FCT, I decided it was worth the 75 Euro charge to get the VAT processed at the FCT. After a short walk to FCT, was processed at security and was welcomed into the lounge. With only an hour left before my flight to ORD, I informed the lounge attendant that I wanted to pay the VAT processing fee and get my items inspected. She said they needed to bring in customs officers and it would take a few minutes. She took my 75 Euro in cash and said she would let me know when the customs office arrived. 20 minutes later, I was asked to go to a back room where 2 German police officers, a man and woman, were waiting. They asked for my receipts, which I promptly submitted....and then the circus started. Both officers stared at the receipts for the next 20 minutes as I was standing there, not able to figure out what to do with them. They kept talking to each other and looking at the receipts, seemingly clueless. As I really wanted to spend time in the lounge and eat something, I asked them what the problem was and why was it taking so long. They said, one of the receipts looks to be a duplicate and not an original so they cant approve one of the items (which cost 2500 Euros). I told them that was the only receipt I received from the store but they would have none of that. After another 10 minutes of back and forth, they said they can only approve one of the 2 receipts for a VAT refund. Needless to say, I was irate but realizing it was not a good idea to argue with German police, I said just give me the one refund and let me go on my way. I went back to the lounge thinking I had time to eat something, but 3 minutes later was informed I needed to head down to the waiting van to board the plane. After looking forward to spending time in the FCT, I ended up wasting time with clueless customs officers. LEt this serve as a warning to those who plan on getting VAT refunds at FRA...don't do it at the FCT!!!
Welcome to FT travelbug007 !

Thanks for your first post.
Yes, the FCT is a lounge that promises much more, Customs clearance, fast Security clearance, rapid Covid tests but as others have posted here, when those options go wrong they are some distance from the people that normally carry out those functions & then it can be a pain....end of the day it’s still FRA....