FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The FRA F/HON First Class Terminal FCT FAQ
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:27 pm
travelbug007

Angry Recent FCT VAT Terrible Experience

Recently connected in FRA from VIE with departing flight to ORD (booked in F) on a 2 hour connection. As I had purchased some items eligible for VAT refund, I looked for the nearest station after arriving in FRA. After what seemed like a mile walk from my arriving gate, I came upon a Global Blue station and was told I needed to turn back because she couldn't process any VAT refund to passengers arriving from VIE. I was told I had to walk to another Global Blue station which was probably 20 minutes away. As I had planned on going to the FCT, I decided it was worth the 75 Euro charge to get the VAT processed at the FCT. After a short walk to FCT, was processed at security and was welcomed into the lounge. With only an hour left before my flight to ORD, I informed the lounge attendant that I wanted to pay the VAT processing fee and get my items inspected. She said they needed to bring in customs officers and it would take a few minutes. She took my 75 Euro in cash and said she would let me know when the customs office arrived. 20 minutes later, I was asked to go to a back room where 2 German police officers, a man and woman, were waiting. They asked for my receipts, which I promptly submitted....and then the circus started. Both officers stared at the receipts for the next 20 minutes as I was standing there, not able to figure out what to do with them. They kept talking to each other and looking at the receipts, seemingly clueless. As I really wanted to spend time in the lounge and eat something, I asked them what the problem was and why was it taking so long. They said, one of the receipts looks to be a duplicate and not an original so they cant approve one of the items (which cost 2500 Euros). I told them that was the only receipt I received from the store but they would have none of that. After another 10 minutes of back and forth, they said they can only approve one of the 2 receipts for a VAT refund. Needless to say, I was irate but realizing it was not a good idea to argue with German police, I said just give me the one refund and let me go on my way. I went back to the lounge thinking I had time to eat something, but 3 minutes later was informed I needed to head down to the waiting van to board the plane. After looking forward to spending time in the FCT, I ended up wasting time with clueless customs officers. LEt this serve as a warning to those who plan on getting VAT refunds at FRA...don't do it at the FCT!!!