FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:30 pm
cmtlatitudes

Originally Posted by brp
A good way to generalize this formula is that $ = Miles*(1+Cabin+Elite)/(AA Multiplier) as the max amount for a partner.

In your example, this is miles*(1+.25+1.2)/11 = miles*2.45/11 = miles * 250/1122.45. This is the same as your formula, but seems more intuitive to me since it in terms of the variables that can be found from existing tables.

Thanks for making me think about it this way

Cheers.
This is very handy on 1-1 comparisons between AA and an AA partner. Thank you!

But can anyone help me with calculations and approach on mixed tickets? i.e., AA code share + AA partner. Example: IAD-DOH-JRO booked through AA. IAD-DOH is an AA codeshare operated by QA, while DOH-JRO is QA.

It's easy enough to pull out both the LP earn if booked through QA in this example (total miles X cabin bonus X elite%), and also the portion of QA LP earned if booked through AA (DOH-JRO).

But I don't know where to start on total LP booked through AA. AA.com doesn't display award miles on mixed tickets, or display the ticket price broken down by segment. So how do I know how AA will price the IAD-DOH AA codeshare segment from my total ticket price? For example, If I purchased a $5K ticket, and AA decided the codeshare segment was only $2500, I would be significantly shafted on earn. If I'm understanding the LP calculation correctly. (Perhaps a big IF)

Thanks for any help, as I try to come up to speed on stuff I didn't pay much attention to before and the new program.

I guess it's always been this way with mixed tickets when it came to RDM. But I always made higher on EQD than I could possibly qualify for on EQM, and there was always points coming in on RDM between bonuses and any credit card spend and vacations and flights that I didn't worry about maximizing it, because I already had 500K miles sitting in my account. Or even trying to figure out and understand at low details where it was coming from and how it was calculated. My focus was mostly on earning the EQMs, mostly through cabin bonuses.