FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:21 pm
LostInAmerica

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
I know this is the direction we have been headed for a while with loyalty programs and status based on spend rather than flights/stays. But this seems to take it to the next level and it is no longer a frequent flyer/traveler program but is now a frequent spender program. The AA Advantage program does not care if you ever set foot on an airplane as long as you use their branded credit card. A lot.

Some have said that this will make it easier to earn status, "All" you have to do is spend a bunch of money with their card. For those of us who do not spend nearly that much in a year, let alone on a credit card, it seems that programs like this are no longer interested in our business. I do enjoy the perks of status for airline/hotel/car rental, but this removes the incentive to give AA (or whoever) my business on a regular basis if I am not going to spend big bucks. They will gain some big spenders who will earn "status" through spend, but how many customers (like me) wiill they lose simply because there is no incentive to remain brand loyal unless you are a big spender?