FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:03 am
parrotheadmjb

Originally Posted by Daftryan
Just finished a 3 night globalist stay using 3 category 1-4 free night certificates.

TLDR: This is a slightly glorified Hyatt Place. I feel like Hyatt just didn't have the right branding option for the hotel and slapped "Andaz" on it. Probably should be just "Hyatt" or something like that perhaps.

Service: Arrived via Lyft XL with no one at the door to either help with luggage or open the doors for us. Throughout the stay, it was hit or miss whether or not someone was at the door to open them (we have a 2 year old with a stroller, heavy doors aren't easy). Lady at check-in was very pleasant. Recognized Globalist status but zero flexibility in terms of upgrades, even after a bit of negotiation (ie, "how about the next day when I see rooms are available), but she was kind about it. Offered us either a free glass of champagne or locally brewed beers. I took the latter and they were great. She also gave us a bag of goodies including two local pralines (yum), a small bottle of local bourbon, small bottle of local vodka, and two koozies. Nice touch. Room service was provided every day which was great. Breakfast service was a complete shi*tshow, even when it wasn't crowded. I'm guessing they are understaffed? I mentioned it to the manager who was nice about it, offered free dinner, but we were booked at Savannah's awesome restaurants 3 nights so I didn't take him up on it.

Location: The selling point and also the reason I believe this hotel can get away with being a category 4.

Room: Tiny and carpeted. Base level room and even more cramped with my 2 year old in a crib. I got used to it throughout the stay, though. Luckily the bed was very comfortable. Room smelled of mildew every time you walked in but got better with the AC cranked. View was a brick building next to us. Shower pressure was good. Pharmacopia amenities which I thought was weird since that's the brand of HR. Soap and lotion was (I think) a local brand I'd never heard of and smelled nice. Plenty of towels refreshed every day.

Breakfast: As a globalist, we could order whatever we want and it was all comped, including the tip. Highlights were shrimp and grits, the egg, bacon, cheese bagel sandwich, and bourbon blueberry pancakes. Tried the fluffernutter flatbread the last day and it was good, but so sweet. Again, globalists can order whatever the heck you want and it will all be comped. It's fairly reasonable, though, and even our most extravagant order came out to about $80.

Overall: While the location is good, I'd never stay here again. I walked through the lobby of the HR (basically across the street) and it seemed much nicer even though it's a Category 3. This hotel feels like a Hyatt Place with a couple upgrades thrown in to slap the Andaz brand on it. The location is good, but the room is tiny, cramped, and smells. I'd feel horribly ripped off if I paid the $3-$400 cash rates for this hotel. For a first time and free stay in Savannah, it did the trick.

Fwiw, I walked over to the new Thompson hotel. The first floor is GORGEOUS and the pool looked nice (although a little small). The location is probably the weakest point as it seems to be an up and coming area surrounded by a whole lot of nothing. River Street is about a 10 minute walk away. The location is a huge con compared to Andaz and HR.
THe rooms at the regency are pretty dated, the breakfast is awful in comparison to the Andaz. Globalist sometimes get a slightly large river view room (they call it a premium suite which is an absolute joke as it's not even a suite) and a coupon for a free bottle of wine (or snacks) but the breakfast I will never eat again, probably why I'm staying at the andaz on my next trip.