FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:07 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Mttrnd
Been reading through this thread thoroughly and hope that I already hope any answer will be a simple "yes", but just looking if the hive-mind could confirm my understanding is correct...

Planning to fly LHR-HND-LAX r/t on ANA in November.

I know the long way round, but had 2x F in the LHR-HND-LHR booked from ages ago that I didn't want to waste, can't enter Japan, and prices for J/F going the 'correct way' don't sway me at the moment.

Details are:
  • All on separate but confirmed tickets (one-way VS awards for each sector, and some with my partner and I on the same itinerary, some separately)
  • Awkwardly one of the tickets is missing my middle name, which they will not change, but I have travelled on ANA previously with my middle name missing without issue
  • Importantly (I feel) the sector for entering the USA is ticketed with my middle name, which matches my passport and vaccination proof
  • Same-day transit in HND T3, comfortable ~6 hours connection time each way
  • Will have antigen test appropriate for entering the USA
  • Will have proof of vaccination, ESTA, and any other declaration / paperwork the USA mandates
  • Will NOT have a PCR test or any other documentation required for entry into Japan

Does this sound like it will work?

The ANA website has lots of warnings about denying boarding without valid PCR test for entry to Japan, but elsewhere advises that no documentation needs to be submitted if transiting. Am I fine to completely ignore the PCR test?

Thanks all
That should all be fine. Generally I'd say make sure to have a print of all your e-tickets as well, they may ask to see proof of the whole itinerary.