FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To test or not to test.
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:34 am
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Flew to Portugal and Spain last month (LAS-SLC-AMS-LIS then MAD-ATL-LAS). DL required Covid test and verified it at ticket counter AND gate in LAS, then again at the gate in SLC. AMS wanted 3 forms (per website) one of which was also distributed on the flight (but not collected). No one at AMS wanted the form or anything Covid related. On deplaning at LIS, 6 police officers stationed at the end of the jetway wanted passports and vaccination certificates (CDC card was OK). No interest in Covid test.

Hotel wanted vaccination roof at check-in but not interested in Covid test. Weekends after 7 pm required Green Pass (or CDC card) to enter restaurants, bars and malls.

No requirements for train to Porto but hotel in Porto only would look at Green Pass or vaccination certificate, no CDC card. They looked at week old certificate from pre-departure of outbound flight and were OK with that. Porto is much more into following rules than Lisbon but the cab drivers are more honest.

Spain required a form which would produce a QR code for entry to Madrid. No requirements for certificate or test. Air Europa required a Covid test prior to check-in, so that was 30 Euro per person and a 20 minute delay. Only 2 passengers on flight in first so there was no line for Sky Priority.

Entering Spain, everyone was routed to someone with a scanner to verify the QR code, that was it for Covid requirements in Spain. We did use the Abbott BinaxNow test for return to the US. Only required at check-in, but no one wanted to look at anything Covid in the US. New GE machines just use facial recognition, no more passport or fingerprint verification. Very fast but a little creepy. It does work faster than the Clear system, much faster.

Next month is Italy but I did get a Green Pass and a Green Pas Italia so it should be easier to enter and eat. I think I still need a test prior to departure. I now have 8 apps just for Covid tests and Green Passes.

Some places (Egypt) require QR codes for tests. The CommonPass app will pull data from LabCorp and Quest Diagnostics (the 2 labs that CVS and Walgreens use here) and generate a QR code. Once an account is setup with those labs the app will pull the data down and create a QR code. It takes a day longer to have the data available on LabCorp and Quest than the Walgreens and CVS sites. The test results on the Walgreens and CVS test will show what lab did the test. The CommonPass app can't pull data from CVS and Walgreens. So you'll need an access to the test facility AND the lab to get the app to pull data. It currently has 11 test providers.

Because of the time lags, I do a test 3 days before the flight and 2 days before the flight so I will have data available.
I've gone to Egypt twice. They don't require QR codes if from areas they know don't use them. (Ie USA)

YES, still need a PCR test if required by rules to enter. The Pass only verifies that you either have been vaccinated or have been tested within the time limit allowed.

Yoi only really need one countries version of Cpvid Pass for proof of vaccine. They all work in each other. I've used the Swiss version to enter places in France, NL, Germany, Greece and couple other EU countries.

As noted some businesses/people are more rule followers than others.

Originally Posted by cubeman
Just FYI Boarding a flight (Delta/AF) that layovers in the EU but landing in a non-EU country the check-in agent said I should have the physical card or a photocopy, no digital. She then said never-mind as I'm only laying over. So I'm unsure on the layover rules but if you are going there they need to see the physical card OR photocopy which is laughable considering digital is the same. To twist it up even more, My friend flying United/Partner digital card was fine no questions asked with an EU layover.

I traveled just at the end of August where my digital copy was fine to use around Paris or a negative test.
I think agent didn't know what talking about. If they accept a copy- they accept digital. The only issue I've seen is some countries only take the original hard card.

Originally Posted by gitismatty
going to Europe tomorrow. test isn't technically required, but I got one anyway. I also think it will be helpful to have just in case any rules change or I somehow mis-read or mis-interpreted a foreign government website.

probably going to get a test in my destination country just so I can get the EU Pass - hopefully have them upload my CDC certificate too just to make things easier. looking to make the traveling as easy as possible
If they convert your CDC card you'll then have an EU Pass. EU Pass can be either based on PCR test within last 48/78 hours or based on a completed vaccine within one year of completion.