FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Announces Service to Belize
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:11 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by alanw
Exactly. I've spent great times at various eco lodges in the Cayo district, and back in the day Placencia was nice in a crusty way but I think it's been thoroughly gentrified now. The comments upthread about the country lacking American chain hotels makes me think some potential visitors might need to adjust their expectations.
One of my favorite vacation trips probably 15 years ago was Placencia. Little cabin on the beach not far from a little non-pretentious beach bar. Fresh fish, key lime pie, cold Belikin beer and panty rippers and a bunch of good books. Good snorkeling, too. I think they had a hurricane blow through a few years ago? AS’ new flights make me want to check it out again. And unlike my wife I haven’t seen the cayes. Those flights on Tropic Air down to Placencia are fun. A couple of stops on dirt strips to drop off or pick up passengers, like a bus. Fond memories.

The jungle can be a fun destination, too. We stayed at the Banana Bank jungle lodge. Was a lot more rustic then. Lots of fun side trips incl. Tikal in Guatemala (which resulted in the worst case of food poisoning (Tikal Tummy) I have ever had the misfortune to experience anywhere).

https://www.bananabank.com