FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Medellin Master Thread [merged]
View Single Post
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:45 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Thank you... Thoughts on Location/Safety compared to the Novotel as someone from Medellin? I will be going to Guatape, and want to check out the cable cars. But besides that, I will probably want good dining options nearby walking distance or at hotel. I do not speak spanish lol.

Thanks again
They are totally different types/categories of property. The IC may not have the polish of some other ICs, but it's something of a grande dame hotel in Medellin and it has most of the bells and whistles you'd expect from a near-5 star hotel. A delightful pool, restaurants and a magnet for social functions. It's far enough from the city centre to have a resorty-vibe, but close enough to be easily accessible by taxi.

I've never stayed at the Novotel, but I know it. it's Accor mid-range attached to the Tesoro mall - so there are lots of food and retail outlets around. If you want international brands I'd go for the IC; but if you want to somewhere cheaper and closer to the "action" maybe the Hilton Garden Inn or the HIX. There are many other places strategically positioned around the Lleras entertainment area

As for transport, unless you are close to the metro, it's likely you are going to rely on walking or taxis/rides.

Metrocable offers you stupendous views and is your route to the Arvi park, where there's a craft market, food stalls and walking trails (if that's your thing). But check the park is open. Aim for Acevedo metro station to transfer to Metrocable - making another transfer between cable cars at an intermediate station (Santo Domingo). It's this second sector of the cable car trip that is the most spectacular in terms of views.

Apart from the usual caveats of behaving sensibly and being aware of your surroundings I wouldn't get too hung up on personal safety.

Anything involved with tourism will have English speakers handy. Outside those areas communication might not be so easy, though in general you can expect the younger generations to be more fluent in English. I get by in a mix of english, portuguese, bad spanish and the patience of the Paisas: they are, with few exceptions very welcoming people.