FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Lima, Peru [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:52 pm
tinkybelle

I stayed at the monistereo in Cusco for the first 2 nights then went to Macchu Picchu and stayed at the hotel for the night,
horendously expensive(like$US500)and the food was really terrible but it was absolutely stunning to wake up early and see the mountains covered in cloud.
also it was great to be able to go to MP twice.
The bus trip up is soooooo scary that I would never have gone up the second time.
Even scarier on the way back as they drive like maniacs to get more trips so make more money.The buses are very nice though.The little town you catch the bus from is cute too.
On the way back we stayed at the CuzcoLibertadorl I think it was and although the rooms were more modern I actually liked the hotel better and it is half the price.The people were more friendly and I didnt have such a problem with the altitude.

Everyone thinks they are young and fit enpough to NOT have a problem but I saw very young(20)yr olds puffing and panting.
This is NOT a trip to try to do things quickly. I do regret not staying in cusco longer. I would definitely stay 3 days instead of 2 on the way up/. the first day you are so knocked out by the altitude!!

oh and dont go to sleep on the train on the way up. They have these fantastic jackets with all the pockets for wallet mobile camera etc like the safari type ones with fantastic embroidery saying inca trail.
I really needed it on the ruins as it is hard to carry water camera mobile etc. I saw a lady with one on the way home and ended up buying 2. Everyone asks about them.great presents at around $US30.
also try to get a front seat on the train. its worth the effort.
I do agree if you can get someone to take you that next stop. the zifg zag railway is a bit boring but make sure you go all the way to cuzco on the way back as the city looks like fairyland at night.

Oh there is also a fantastic restaurant among 1000 year old ruins.
very upmarket but Ill find out the name.
I stayed at millefoires marriott. it was great. I did also hear the sheraton is in a very bad area

Last edited by tinkybelle; Nov 6, 2004 at 11:34 pm