FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:58 am
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I would also agree with the concept of taking BART to that station and then Uber/Lyft (not taxi), with a number of caveats:
  • The area right around that station has always been a favorite spot for unsavory characters to loiter and has only gotten worse during the pandemic. I would not be comfortable carrying any luggage, especially at night.
  • The BART system runs very few trains on weekend evenings, especially Sunday nights. You may be looking at 20+ minute waits in either direction on Sundays, and right now the entire system closes at 9pm on Sundays, so check schedules carefully depending on day of week
  • Might be a good compromise to take BART to 16th (or 24th), meet your friend somewhere nearby for dinner, then take an Uber/Lyft directly back to the airport at the end
Thanks!

It's a weeknight - so that's ok. Unfortunately it seems the family friend is now housebound due to mobility issues, so I will need to go see them. I will have luggage so might just have to bite the bullet and pay the $$.

There's also been a suggestion in one of the SF tripadvisor forums to get the BART to Embarcadero and then a taxi from there to the mission district?