FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old Sep 27, 2021, 2:24 am
freed0m

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by wunderpit
In response to some of the talk about how “normal” airports are in the USA vs Narita…it’s true.

It’s got to be time, soon, for all developed countries (Japan) to open up for business with mandated vaccines for international travel, even if it is partnered with testing, and no stupid 10 day quarantine. Covid isn’t going anywhere, but the risk of extreme illness is mostly cornered to the unvaccinated or certain vaccinated people with underlying health issues. Sure, you guys can dig up some articles, but the rule, not the exception, is that the unvaccinated are crowding the hospitals and dying.

That being said, it still seems the consensus that the Japanese will drag their feet and take way too long, even though they are starting to outpace a lot of countries with vaccination.

Don’t get me wrong, I fully believe how awful Covid has been and I’m vaxxed to the max. But it’s time to get some confidence that this can happen, and most will be ok.
I don't think extreme illness or death is at play now in developed economies with more than half population fully vaccinated. The problem is wide-spread infections.

With flu, acceptable practice is to isolate oneself away from others. With COVID spread easier, faster and wider, more and more people(and families) have to stay away from work/school. There won't be much economy going on with that.