FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:36 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Whoever said the Japanese diet is healthy knew nothing about Japanese bento food culture. Dry, starchy, plenty of fried food, few vegetables, a carb-fest, no wonder constipation is a common ailment in Japan. And those supposedly wonderful ekiben are pretty much the same (though there may be exceptions here and there). If you eat three meals a day and one of them is a store-bought bento (as it is for many people), that will likely be your least healthy meal of the day. I'll admit, for some it may be their healthiest, God forbid. A meal served in the economy section of a flight is probably about the same quality as a bento, maybe better.
From Kyoto I usually get the semi-eki ben from Isetan. There is nothing like a bento from 京都吉兆 or 祇園にしかわ. Pick your train bentos well and they can be wonderful. But then also a bit more than 1,000 yen.

I think the mitigating circumstance is that they are reasonably calorie acceptable after all, due to overall porton size. But then feeling full and staying away from other snacks is the trick.

Originally Posted by evergrn
Breakfast definitely looks better, but I’d need 2 of these.
That corn bread looks good. Looks like the famous one from Biei that everyone buys at CTS.
If this was from a famous place, I wonder about their source of fame. But it was OK. The better of the three breakfast bentos that came.

But I do pity the people who had 6 or 10 days of these.