FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:16 pm
Nagasaki Joe

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ainternational
I just came back from Tokyo to the US yesterday. Amazes me every time I walk out of the airport (1A to curb in 4.5 minutes this time - no bags, Global Entry - and yes I timed it) in America, not even a temperature check or questionnaire. Land of the free (and infected), but somehow, I must say, personally I do prefer it this way.
US and Japanese airports stand in stark contrast at this time. At O'Hare, right after immigration, there is someone passing out government-issued handouts about the need to get vaccinated, but other than that and wearing masks, its business as usual, the airport is crowded and you'd think it was a normal non-pandemic day. At Narita, it's like a scene out of the movie "Outbreak" (90s film about a fictional Ebola virus outbreak) with plastic sheeting draped everywhere in immigration and the customs area and no crowds, almost feels deserted. Japan is putting a lot of effort in containing the spread at international airports, but I think their efforts at containment among the local population lack the same rigor.

The obstacles to international travel now, especially those put out by the Japanese government, make it an incredible hassle for me. Domestic travel in either country is just so much easier. I think I'll wait for the dust to settle before I consider another international trip. Or perhaps this is the new normal for years to come. I hope not.