FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:35 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Easy question and hard question:
  • If I hit Plat Pro in October, choose the 1 upgrade as my choice award, and hit Ex Plat later this year, will I get 2, 3, or 4 more upgrades if I go that route? Is it better to not claim until the last few days of the eligible year? Or better to claim the Plat Pro ASAP before hitting Exp and then theoretically getting a 5th one...? My hunch says I would get 3 more, but their tech is not always... flexible.
You can select 1 on reaching plat pro, and 4 with your two choices on reaching exp.
Thank you for the info and advice, do they stack even if I don't take the PLT Pro reward right away? I like your idea of not redeeming until ready, but, at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas, you get one free night when you hit a certain tier level, and then two more nights when you hit the next. If you haven't used the one night yet, you more or less lose it, you don't end up with three.
No, they do not take it away. I did not select plat pro rewards, and upon reaching the exp qualification requirements, the plat pro reward selection remained in my account.
  • On AA but also OneWorld partners, what's the EASIEST way to choose or find economy fares that aren't the lowest bucket? Pain in the butt today sifting through Qatar finding a fare that wasn't the one that only earns 5 percent EQDs, i.e. an O fare, and I also have some business points I might would use that I therefore need the more full fare economy ticket for... I know United has some sort of "Advanced" mode but I don't fly them... =D
matrix.itasoftware.com. Under advanced controls, use extension codes (the tooltip will tell you exactly how). It does have a slight learning curve, so it's not exactly the easiest, but once you know how to search, it becomes very easy. There are also some guides (e.g. https://scottscheapflights.com/guide...-cheap-flights) that can also be helpful.