FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Award Travel
Thread: AS Award Travel
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:42 pm
evilluc

Originally Posted by Sandonkey
I just booked award travel for three people in SAN-LHR on 8/10/22. For main cabin, the majority of the options involved BA and their pricey fees (32.5k miles + $243). However, there was one SAN-SEA-LHR AS/AA option for 30k + $19. I booked this.

AS currently has 10 SAN-SEA n/s scheduled on on 8/10/22. However, the only flight available for main cabin award booking with the AA SEA-LHR flight was a morning flight that arrives in SEA at 11:55a, more than 7 hours before the 7:20p SEA-LHR flight. Personally, I could probably spend 7 hours eating and drinking at the N lounge, but that is less enjoyable with two kids. So, I would like a later SAN-SEA flight.

Per Expertflyer, the 8/10 SAN-SEA flight I booked (AS 1137) appears to be the ONLY SAN-SEA flight within three days of 8/10 that has T fare availability. This seems odd, and I assume it was loaded by mistake. The AS phone lady claimed otherwise, but she didn't provide a credible explanation how this flight had 7 seats in T and NONE of the other 60+ flights within three days had any.

Regardless, I am assuming T availability on other 8/10 flights will open up at some point in the future, and I have an ExpertFlyer alert set for that. Is there anything else I can/should do? Am I missing something?
I'm in a very similar situation with an award I booked for four people next May to Europe (SJC-SEA-DUB.) There is a single SJC-SEA flight that day with a bunch of T availability and several other flights with none. The flight with T availability results in a ~9 hour layover which works but isn't really ideal. I also set up some alerts assuming the other flights would probably open up at some point, but not really sure. Interested if others have any insight