FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Award Travel
Thread: AS Award Travel
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:38 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sandonkey
I just booked award travel for three people in SAN-LHR on 8/10/22. For main cabin, the majority of the options involved BA and their pricey fees (32.5k miles + $243). However, there was one SAN-SEA-LHR AS/AA option for 30k + $19. I booked this.

AS currently has 10 SAN-SEA n/s scheduled on on 8/10/22. However, the only flight available for main cabin award booking with the AA SEA-LHR flight was a morning flight that arrives in SEA at 11:55a, more than 7 hours before the 7:20p SEA-LHR flight. Personally, I could probably spend 7 hours eating and drinking at the N lounge, but that is less enjoyable with two kids. So, I would like a later SAN-SEA flight.

Per Expertflyer, the 8/10 SAN-SEA flight I booked (AS 1137) appears to be the ONLY SAN-SEA flight within three days of 8/10 that has T fare availability. This seems odd, and I assume it was loaded by mistake. The AS phone lady claimed otherwise, but she didn't provide a credible explanation how this flight had 7 seats in T and NONE of the other 60+ flights within three days had any.

Regardless, I am assuming T availability on other 8/10 flights will open up at some point in the future, and I have an ExpertFlyer alert set for that. Is there anything else I can/should do? Am I missing something?
That the AS schedule isn’t exactly written in stone for 11 months out, so there will inevitably be multiple schedule changes you can use to be put into different flights to shrink your SEA layover.