FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:58 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anteater
I don’t view it as a waste. Personally, I prefer staying at the Moana and supporting the hotel and locals which they employ. 🤙🏻
What you're describing is charity, and I am not traveling anywhere to sprinkle dollars around while I have a stressful, miserable experience.

Perhaps the theory about Japanese tourism is correct, especially given the ownership of these Waikiki properties, and back in May while strolling past the JAL departure gate at HNL and seeing about 12 people sitting there waiting to board I figured the problem is pretty serious, but continuing to dumb down the product using Marriott's "minimum standards" as a lame excuse will not draw the discerning visitors to these properties. As leisure travel continues to slide off a cliff with back to school and tightening restrictions in Hawai'i, the smarter business decision would be to enhance service offerings for elite and higher value customers to make sure they choose the SW, RH or Moana over a competing property or private stay option vs removing any last vestiges of specialized recognition to the point where you'll get more amenities at the Holiday Inn Express.

If volume is going down, attracting higher margin and loyal spenders to the hotel perhaps with some floors shut down to conserve costs, is the better approach. Maybe even a "hotel within a hotel" experience for repeat, or Plat+ customers with designated check-in, a proper hot plated breakfast, reserved chair at the Infiniti Pool (claim it by x:hour or it goes to someone else waiting), and something as simple as a coupon book to use at local restaurants and businesses in the area. If someone was staying with me 3-4 times a year, I would have management offer them r/t airport transfer by Uber if they are not renting a car.

The problem with the travel industry in general is foolish, short-sighted leadership that focuses on cost cutting vs incentivizing spend. In truth, you can do both - cutting costs for low margin, bargain customers and enhancing the product for repeat, loyal customers who spend more.

I get emails throughout the year from independent or smaller chain boutique or resort properties offering me special incentives or services to come back - in fact, one of the most frequent emailers is the Kahala, which is where I believe the SW's beloved Kelly Sanders ended up running the show, if I'm not mistaken.

After a 20+yr relationship with the SW, do they ever email me? Nada.