FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton East Hartford - Leaving Starwood 31 MAR 2011 [Master Thread]
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:13 pm
askias

Programs: United, Starwood
An Interesting Stay at the Sheraton Hartford

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of times before because my grandparents live in nearby Bloomfield, CT. They usually have good weekend rates of $79. The hotel presents itself fairly well, it looks a little worn around the edges, but I've never been *afraid* to stay there -- well, until this latest visit.

Saturday night began with a large flying insect that had apparently been living in the curtains, being disturbed when I tried to open the curtains and let in some light. A call to housekeeping led to a woman coming to the room, taking her shoes off, and with a rolled up newspaper, trying to kill this bug while hopping around on various pieces of furniture within the room.

OK.

Once that was resolved and the bug was disposed of, my wife realized that her plastic case that she kept her contacts in was missing. She had left it on top of one of the desks, so we concluded that housekeeping had probably thrown it away, but we tore up the room looking for it anyway. That led us, unfortunately, to look under the bed. Thrown about under the bed were, and there is no nice way to say it, about 50 packages of condoms and empty condom boxes.

OK.

So I go down to the front desk, it's about 11 p.m. at this point, and I'm like, this is not meeting the Sheraton Service promise. I am not having a good stay. And the first thing this woman says to me, and this is probably the most disturbing part, "Oh no, the condoms weren't used, were they?" Well, I hadn't actually checked, but thanks for putting that in my head.

The hotel did dispatch someone to an all-night pharmacy to get my wife a new contact case and they did give us one night of our two night stay free. My wife slept in her clothes that night and needless to say, we left early in the morning.

I'm not so much quibbling with the compensation offered as offering a caution about staying at the hotel. And if you do, whatever you do, don't look under the bed. Trust me.