FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To Kashgar: flying/hitching/walking to Xinjiang.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
I like the report. Brings back memories. One summer I did a similar trip just with less Xinjiang but starting from Iran (flew over Turkmenistan though to Tashkent). Back then there was no phone check or interrogation at the border, just a xray of your bags, though we did have to spend hours in a waiting room while the Chinese took their 3 hour lunch break despite me staying at a guest house for truckers at the border and leaving as early as I could to try to avoid that fate. Also I remember finding the marshrutka to the border (not just Sary Tash? Don't remember exactly) in Osh bazaar unlike you (I think I was one of the only passengers on it) Remember having to hitchhike between the border posts in a truck. Met an American guy there who I decide was CIA based on his ridiculous reason for being there and speaking almost fluent Chinese and Russian. Back then you could stay in a hostel in central Kashgar (probably the same one mentioned here already) and no one warned you about taking photos. Times change... Wish I had extended my trip south towards Pakistan instead of heading to Beijing after - heard the Pamir highway in that direction and smaller towns can be beautiful. Now, like Tibet, I think it's out of bounds or at least restricted.

They also seem to have a record of Xinjiang visits, when I entered China in 2019 on a TWOV they asked me had I been to Xinjiang when scanning my passport.
Ah, that must've been something! So jealous. Yes, the Karakoram Highway is said to be supremely beautiful. I was toying with the idea of the Karakorams last year (only the Pakistani side) but then the allure of Tibetan Buddhism made me swerve towards Ladakh (and then of course Covid!). But I'll try it. I don't really fancy going into Xinjiang again, but I'd like to do the bit of the Karakoram highway up to the Pakistan/PRC border and then turn back again. Thanks for reading mpkz! And well done on your language skills!