FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Grand Rapids, MI [Master Thread]
Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:13 am
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker III
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by wheresmycookie
Shame on JW Marriott and Marriott Bonvoy. I am a very loyal Marriott person with over 15 years of elite status and many years of Ambassador status, but have NEVER had this happen to me. At 3 am, I was woken from a deep sleep as my hotel phone rang. Of course I didn’t answer it. Then, a knock on my door. Of course as a single female business traveler, I was NOT going to answer the door at 3am! I was frightened- glad the deadbolt was up- but then someone tries to repeatedly bang open the door against the deadbolt. I started screaming, flew to the door & saw a male through the peephole. He identified himself as security and said there was a problem with my room rate, they tried calling but I didn’t answer. I told him to go away & immediately rang the front desk reporting an attempted break in to my room. He said he had sent security to sort out my room rate…AT 3 am???? He said he tried calling but no answer (I was in my room from 8:15pm and on- no one attempted to contact me). He said they had to make sure the room was occupied. He said they saw me leave the hotel (at 6:30pm) but not return. Another knock on the door made me scream, barricade the door, & call 911. The police arrived and said “it was all a big misunderstanding”. There is NO DECENT HOTEL ON THIS PLANET which a) attempts to break into a female hotel room at 3 am to ensure it is occupied- ONLY if she is endangering people or herself endangered. B) harasses their guests at 3 am over a room rate via phone and breaking in (you call at a reasonable hour or leave a note under the door. NEVER MIND I cleared up what room rate I should have at check in and they have my card on file!! Regardless there is no reason to attempt a break in to a guest room at 3am unless there is a safety concern.
Clearly, they knew when I left for dinner and didn’t see me return- so were thinking it was unoccupied and attempting to steal. Or alternatively, assault a female guest. NO HOTEL in a civilized country attempts to break into a guest room to ensure it is occupied- our key cards are an electronic record of when we enter our rooms - and hotels do NOT have curfews- it DOES NOT MATTER if I was in my room or not. They said they had “new staff in the pandemic who were not trained.” WHO BREAKS INTO A FEMALE GUEST ROOM AT 3 am to MAKE SURE SHE IS THERE? Only someone with nefarious intent.
I was terrified for my life and have barricaded myself in hotel rooms at night since. This is UNACCEPTABLE. Marriott ambassador desk was initially apologetic and appalled, and made it clear that this was unacceptable and deserved a full investigation. However, they closed the case without a word and 15,000 points deposited in my account. I do not care if they deposit 100K points- it doesn't make it right to me until they apologize and explain why this happened, and why I should not fear staying at a Marriott again. I love my years with Marriott but I can no longer fear for my life in a locked hotel room. DO NOT STAY HERE if you want to feel safe.

Hello wheresmycookie,

We are sorry that you had such experience. Could you please send us more information such as hotel's name, your check-in & out dates, reservation holder’s name, reservation number & your email address via private message or email us at [email protected] ? Make sure to mention your "FlyerTalk Forums" handle so we can recognize this conversation. We look forward to hearing from you.