FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Airport seven-hour queues 'inhumane' at arrivals
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:38 am
ahmetdouas

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Buster
Landed Sept 11 at 3:15 pm. No one available to work the ramp, so we didn’t deplane until around 3:40. No lines - cruised right up to the e-gates. E-gates had a very high failure rate - both my husband and I failed, but the stewards told us to try different machines rather than sending us to the very long failure line. Luckily we both had better success at the second machines. Little tip that the steward gave me - remove your mask entirely (don’t have it hanging off one one ear). That, plus a new machine, did the trick.

I think it’s all highly variable - we landed early, ahead of a few large long haul BA flights. Others later in the day who were stuck amongst those flights may not have been as lucky.
If all the e-gates are open then even with hundreds of people its actually not that bad like a 10-15 min wait, its when they don't have e-gates or only a few operating that really cause the problems.