FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for bank with NO foreign transaction fee ATM
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:13 pm
hotturnip

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You want MULTIPLE ATM cards, right? So that's your problem with Capital One? (And I'm not sure what account they offer that has a zero transaction fee ATM card--I just know about their no-forex credit cards.)

I use the Fidelity 1% when overseas. It's hardly noticeable, and it's worked perfectly (unlike my Ally Bank ATM card, which was a nightmare). I would get one of these as your backup, if you already have a Fidelity account.

I've been collecting bank bonuses the past couple of years and trying various banks. I haven't tried PNC yet, but they are next on my list because from what I can tell, you CAN get an effective 0% transaction fee, depending on the specific kind of account you have. Their top two consumer checking brands charge flat fees rather than percentages, but a certain number of those fees are waived each month, including foreign ones. There IS a percentage charged for debit purchases as opposed to cash withdrawals.

This feature alone has made PNC seem very attractive to me, and I'm going to try them out when their SUBs go back up. As far as verification, a friend has PNC and she says she doesn't recall being charged anything for her foreign ATM transactions (but she's not as into this stuff as we Flyertalkers are, so may not have been paying especially close attention).