FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:05 pm
GallyChef

Originally Posted by jnagar
I have a couple questions in the spirit of this topic. First, here's my story: I booked the following itinerary: PDX-SEA-LHR-BCN in F, returning LIS-LHR-LAX-PDX in J. Heavily discounted cash fare direct through BA (~$2500 R/T). Since booking, I received first one email indicating one leg had been cancelled, and then another indicating a separate flight leg had been cancelled.

I understand based on reading the earlier posts/wiki that I am entitled to rebook the same routing to alternate dates, and fare will not be recalculated/increased. OR that I may cancel prior to accepting their proposed changes prior to travel and receive a refund in full.

My questions follow:
1) Do I just get "one shot" at making any changes/refunds, after which it's back to the original terms (non-refundable / changes subject to fare changes)? Or if I accept/make changes today would I still be entitled to a full refund closer to flight time? (edit: looks like @ABZLocal asked this yesterday as well)
2) Is the answer to 1) impacted by the fact that two legs were cancelled? i.e. could I call and make a modification to one leg whilst not accepting the second change until a later date? At which time I'd still be able to modify the flights or get a full refund?
3) Any anecdotal info about BA's willingness to minor route changes (i.e. flying into Portugal instead of Spain) in such a situation? I presume this would be easy enough to talk my way into...?
4) Any thoughts on the chances I could get them to swap F and J on the outbound/return?
5) If I call in to discuss options, can I refuse to "accept" their changes and leave the door open to calling back later to make the changes official? I'm reluctant to call now and forfeit my ability to change these things down the line. Given the delta variant I'd like to have options open to me closer to the mid-Sept departure...

Thank you!
Though some have answered various questions here, I figured I'd recap what I learned from BA when I called in myself:

First off: about rebooking to a later date: the agent said I was NOT entitled to change the flights to a later date (i.e. 2022) without regard to fare/class. In fact, they advised that they could issue a FTV in that case, for use at the later date. But I'd be subject to the fare at the time of rebooking. NOT what I'd read in this thread. Perhaps this was a misunderstanding between me and the agent, but they seemed pretty certain.

1) Yes: one shot. Unless there's a future cancellation
2) No impact: one shot to make the changes. Unless there's a future cancellation
3) Someone quoted BA's 300mi modification allowance. They seem pretty strict about the 300mi rule. Though one agent quoted a higher 350mi limit. So we could not change our BCN arrival to MAD either way, since it's 375mi.
4) No chance--it would be subject to the difference in fare, yada yada yada
5) Yes. Though I had a fright today when I called a second time to ask some follow-up questions, where the agent was rather insistent I had accepted the changes. He was incorrect, and this was straightened out without too much wasted adrenaline.

Last edited by GallyChef; Sep 4, 2021 at 2:14 pm Reason: missed one point ("first off...")