FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread
Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:50 am
earlscourtflyer

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Firstly I would say think about getting a refund. We see a lot of people going to a lot of effort to shore up maybe bookings, when cash sitting in your piggy bank is so much easier! I don't get this argument that "my fare is so incredibly good it will never ever be repeated", that simply isn't how aviation markets work.

I would certainly give it another go with the contact centre, the problem for you presumably is that the operating outbound has to be dealt with before the replacement flights become available on the 355 day rule. And there will be nothing an agent can do to change that, other than to ghost sector it. The next fallback is to book other dates which may work and may also be cancelled, but that's the mother of all maybe bookings. And if that doesn't work, just go for the refund and book when you are 8 to 6 weeks from departure, which statistically is the best time to buy flights.
Just called again and spoke with a more helpful agent..even though she didn't create a ghost booking as such she has made notes against the booking confirming the outbound flight and that I just need to confirm the inbound flight when it's available on Thursday...if she did the official change to the outbound flight today I was advised I may have to pay a fee to change the inbound flight...not wanting a refund on this as it really was a great deal in a sale plus an extra hotline discount which I no longer have access to..also hotels with free cancellation for next year are still very cheap..plus already have JFK bookings for November and Easter so didn't want to move this one speculatively...thanks everyone for your help as always!