FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)
Old Aug 28, 2021, 2:17 pm
arma5

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don't think this works as you describe. For one, there is no 'internal tag'. If you file a claim, Chase is going to ask for a bunch of documents, including the card statement showing the charge to the card (or Chase points redeemed), the ticket/itinerary, receipts, etc, and that's the way they know that you used the card to pay for this. Also, 'changing' and 'canceling' essentially works the same way - the difference being whether you choose to book a replacement itinerary right away, or choose to leave the PNR open with the funds still in it, and book the replacement flights at a later time. In either case, the PNR remains the same, and the ticket number will update at the time of change, as it needs to be re-issued.
Yes, I think you're right. I looked at the receipt for the original flight, and it says

"Method of payment: Visa ending in xxxx"

But for the *changed* flight, it says

"Method of payment: Miscellaneous Document Miscellaneous Document"

So it looks like I am losing the "my receipt obviously shows that my visa bought it" property after even the first change.

Yes, I think you are over-thinking. You could do what you describe in point 4, if you are really that worried about it. But again, it shouldn't be that complicated...,like I said, if you just show the evidence in a claim of original charge, and then it connecting to those changes you make, I'd be confident any otherwise eligible claim would continue to be so.
Interesting -- so the theory is that even though I didn't "buy" any part of the new flight with my Chase card, I'm still using the payment from back when I did buy a flight with it, and if I can show that the original payment underwent a series of events that resulted in me having that new flight, then the new flight should still be covered. Still seems a bit risky but I can see how it's the best remaining option. Thanks.

While I'm here: I think my plan of "change the flight a few times to be progressively smaller, before cancelling, so I have a series of more manageable-size Future Flight Credits to use" is also going to encounter a problem: all the FFCs will have the same PNR, and when you try to apply an FFC by PNR, it applies all of them that it can find from that PNR. So, maybe there is still a way to make it work, but I don't think it will do what I had in mind by default.