FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about Transfers at airport on 2 separate tickets without entering country
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:35 am
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by pete_ncl
Right, so that's exactly why I was wondering if this would work.

I did hear of people travel via Doha on that basis (when entering Qatar was forbidden), however, I think both of their flights were with QR so even though on separate tickets they were able to sort it out, stay at the transit hotel on the airside etc. etc..
Keep in mind that the transit rules change depending upon the local situation. As I live in Bangkok, I always have to transit to get back to the US so I'm always checking the rules. For example, SIN allows transit, but only on certain approved carriers, and generally requiring a single ticket. Taiwan had completely restricted foreigners from transitting TPE, then relaxed the restriction if flying on CI or BR thru TPE, then went back to not allowing transit. I find it interesting that AA is selling (and has awards) through Japan requiring transfer between NRT and HND, as the latest rule I saw was that Japan required quarantine and didn't permit use of public transportation between the two airports. Like I said, things always are changing. Sometimes the airlines have current (correct) information like SQ provides, but not all are that diligent. To be on the safe side, make sure you are on a single ticket.