FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)
Old Aug 20, 2021, 7:18 am
serpens

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Interestingly enough, I was thinking about how to get a bit of $ on a ticket to pay for with the card, when my ETC was more than the amount, and tried to add an E+ seat purchase to one of the flights, thinking that would do it. Apparently that doesn't work anymore (at least if the ETC value exceeds it), because while in the past, UA didn't allow FFC or ETC credits to pay for things like that, it now does. Who knew they would add this during the one moment I was hoping to sue the fact I couldn't pay for it with an ETC to my advantage.
I fly little, so this might be showing my ignorance, but could you add the E+ later and have it be a separate charge? Or would the computer system notice your method of payment and use that without giving you an option?

In a perhaps similar situation, I recently made a reservation on United. During the original reservation, I was unable to pre-pay for checked luggage. If I had paid for the reservation with an e-credit (I didn't; I charged it), could I then pay for the checked bag with a Sapphire card and get the trip insurance? In other words, does paying a baggage fee count as paying for part of the trip?